Thursday, November 28, 2013

This is NORMAL

This is normal for a fibre-ista home, right?

Abi's practice fibre and some random yarnage in tea room

Mini skeins display - this is deliberate

FO hiding...

WIP next to the desk. Adding a wider border to an old FO I was never satisfied with.

That's where my fuschia singles are hiding. I've been looking for that box - safely tucked out of the way.

Fibre on a shelf and half-hiding in a box after the fibre fest.

WIP that belongs in the van for long drives. I think it snuck into a bag that came in. Waiting at the door to go out again.

FO that needs blocking - waiting above the living room TV.

WIPs in the living room and some leftovers I haven't stashed away yet from other recent FOs.
WIP I was working on during kiddos' bath

hiding in my newly-accessed bedroom closet... WIPs on the top shelf - spinning and ? Oh, look, hellabitch horns. And a few lace shawls folded on a shelf.

Primary WIP in the living room / wherever I'm nursing.

WIP baby sock I didn't finish for baby shower because I couldn't find the first to know when to start heel...

While photographing above WIP look what I spotted. Wonder where it was hiding that kiddos dug it out from.
craft room bulletin board with swatches and such

where the stash belongs

see, I do put some away

even if some has to stored above

...or in another cupboard

okay, so it doesn't always find its way into the cupboards...
Sorting/storing stuff is still a WIP in general...  Only recently finished master bedroom. Now I just have to wrap up the course I'm teaching at the university.

Monday, November 4, 2013

Jurisfiction beginnings

I'm not looking at my Sabbatical cardigan. I'm not thinking about how much of it needs to be frogged and reknit.
I'm moving on to a new cardigan instead - a Jurisfiction by Glenna C.
Working it up with some Briggs & Little / Selkirk from Ram Wools in copper.
This will be my biggest cable project to date.
(Except, when one considers how many cables go into a heavily cabled pair of socks, I really shouldn't underestimate my previous works.)

I have finished 2 sleeves. The first was my gauge swatch, so it has been blocked. As soon as I finished the second, I had to cast on for my back. Loving this knit.

Unblocked sleeve on top of blocked sleeve for size comparison

 It really is amazing what blocking does for your knitting. This is the first time I've blocked cables and ribbing. I knit a lot more lace and I have always loved the process of blocking my lace for its glorious transformation.  With this blocking I paid attention to how the fabric changes.  Primarily I was concerned to block for gauge.  While knitting I was getting 3" tall for the row count where I wanted 3.75".  I assumed I would get gauge, so knit my length accordingly - allowing an extra quarter inch for every inch I knit.  Then when I blocked, I made the width to the diagram and stretched the length to add those extra quarter inches.

I look forward to blocking the back and watching those knotted cables grow.

Friday, November 1, 2013


It's cold out. My beloved elm went from green to gold to leafless in a week. Good reminder to whip up and finish some hats.
Abi's Subway hat from last year. That I still have not lined...

Abi's new Kitty hat, as promised to her. Uses leftovers from her vest for the stripes.
Cute shaping. Design from Knitting A Kiss In Every Stitch.

Claire's new hat, in progress. Will be adding a yoke.
Not quite awake while taking Abi to school.
Lucy's Jester hat.