When a friend asked me to test out a new superwash merino fibre base for her, I gracefully accepted the opportunity to spin lovely fibre. When asked what colour I would like it dyed, I didn't make it easy - I chose jewel tones in amethyst and sapphire. I received full, saturated colours. Gorgeous.
This top is delightfully fluffy - no compression here and even with the saturated dark colours, there was very little tricky sections. I don't do a lot of prep with my rovings - unless they are compressed and need a really good fluffin'. For this top I tore the length in half and then split that half lengthwise so I would spin up a quarter of the fibre. I pulled the fibre sideways a little, but otherwise I spun it as is.
Initially I spun fairly loose singles. The fibre liked being a fluffy single.
I wanted to see if the new fibre spun the same as the old.
All in all, I conclude the new fibre supply is equivalent to the former fibre supply. Test done. (Now to finish spinning the fibre! Oh the demands of testing.)