My real explorations, however, were with 3 delicious red batts.
The first batt was spun and plied on my old familiar Turkish spindles. All were spun woolen-ish from the fold of chunks I tore off the batt.
|Finished Turkish hank. Rakestraw pre-plying. Topwhorl in progress.|
As I was working on the top whorl project I also started on my support spindle project with the third batt.
Both were plied on my larger top-whorl spindle. I tried plying on the support spindle but what I should have done was make a plying ball first rather than try to control two bobbins of singles.
I discovered I can do roughly the same yarns with each of my spindle tools. Turkish is probably my slowest tool. Top whorl I can make spin the fastest (of these 3). Support spindle allows me to spin while nursing as I can place it on the floor/bed in front of me, so that makes it easier for me to spin. This particular support spindle isn't as fast as my lighter Tibetan style, but I didn't want super-fine singles. I still got quite fine singles.
I think the Turkish is the most consistent. Perhaps because it's the most familiar to me but also because the slower spin allows me to better control my drafting. I deliberately allowed myself to spin on each tool as felt most natural rather than try to make the exact same yarn.
If only I had one more batt to compare my wheel spinning - although it's too soon to expect a good consistent yarn for proper comparison.
My next challenge will be these batts on my wheel. I am going to take advantage of my inconsistent wheel spinning for a thick-thin yarn. I've never tried to spin a batt that wasn't thoroughly blended and with such divergent fibres.